1. Live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and take stunning photographs of it. (And oh yes, it won't hurt if you write as beautifully as you see.)
2. Have lots of spicy secrets to tell. Tell them.
3. Be born with so much wit and style that you that you can turn a trip
to the hardware store into a hilarious and mesmerizing tale.
4. Narrow your focus and expand our vision. Write about one thing. How about waiting tables in New York City?
5. Leave your readers hungry for more.
6. Get a group of young writers together and create a group
blog that crackles with nervous energy.
7. Recommend books. Link to interviews and reviews. Dish a little.
8. Be controversial. Collect an abrasive following who will duke it out every time you post for the entertainment of your readers.
9. Make me feel like I've travelled somewhere wonderful as I sit in front of my computer on my big red yoga ball wearing my PJs. Maybe you could even teach me a new word when I get there.
10. Be knowledgable about something--say the machinations of the publishing industry--and share that knowledge with generosity and flair.
11. Make friends. Write whatever the hell you want. Define success on your own terms. (See my sidebar.)