Sunday, September 24, 2006

HOW TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL BLOG


Voice and laughter, originally uploaded by Paula Wirth.



1. Live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and take stunning photographs of it. (And oh yes, it won't hurt if you write as beautifully as you see.)

2. Have lots of spicy secrets to tell. Tell them.

3. Be born with so much wit and style that you that you can turn a trip
to the hardware store into a hilarious and mesmerizing tale.

4. Narrow your focus and expand our vision. Write about one thing. How about waiting tables in New York City?

5. Leave your readers hungry for more.

6. Get a group of young writers together and create a group
blog that crackles with nervous energy.

7. Recommend books. Link to interviews and reviews. Dish a little.

8. Be controversial. Collect an abrasive following who will duke it out every time you post for the entertainment of your readers.

9. Make me feel like I've travelled somewhere wonderful as I sit in front of my computer on my big red yoga ball wearing my PJs. Maybe you could even teach me a new word when I get there.

10. Be knowledgable about something--say the machinations of the publishing industry--and share that knowledge with generosity and flair.

11. Make friends. Write whatever the hell you want. Define success on your own terms. (See my sidebar.)

22 comments:

Laini Taylor said...

Wow, thanks for all those fun links -- I had never been to most of those sites. I got completely engrossed in the waiter one. I stopped waiting tables a few years back but I could SO relate -- though I didn't have the grace that guy has.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for so many great links; I think Chocolate & Zucchini is the only one I've seen before. There are so many great blogs out there and these look especially intriguing.

Patry Francis said...

laini: I keep waiting to hear that waiter got a book deal. If he hasn't yet, it seems like a matter of time.

tinker: Blogland is becoming quite a vast universe...I've been known to get lost for hours--

pohanginapete said...

Patry, thankyou — I'm greatly honoured to be included in a post with the likes of waiterrant (and the others). I guess I'll add that what most encourages me to keep returning to a blog is when the author (in the broad sense) consistently offers well written, original and stimulating thoughts. Little wonder, then, that I keep coming back to your blog.

Sky said...

this was such a fun post! thanks for the links. i will have to explore these with more depth. just did a quick hop through this moment.

and boy, did pohanginapete nail it! you're such a draw, patry!

Patry Francis said...

Thanks, Pete and Sky--not only for the kind words, but for stopping by on a regular basis to share a few thoughts and insights of your own.

Susan: Glad you enjoyed them!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed this! Thank you Patry. xo, BL

JonnyB said...

Oh - er - gosh. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Zucchini, chocolate, rot (en francais), corrugated tin cars, pommes frites, dolls with rigor mortis, food I can't pronounce, $hit unhappens, Book Slut (so much more intriguing than Bookworm, count me in)...

Naturally, I mostly remember the food.

Interesting links! Thanks, Patry.

Patry Francis said...

Bloglily: xo to you, too, my dear. I'm so thankful to Diana and Susan for telling me about you.

jonny b: You're really here!

robin: Love your quick summary of the links--though now I have to go check them out myself to find the dolls with rigor mortis, and Shit unhappening.

MB said...

Thanks. Pete's right.

rdl said...

Oh my - not more blogs - not enough time in the day. I loved Johnny B's - very funny and Waiter Rants is one of the first I discovered when a newbie to the blogosphere and it reminded me of our rants about customers and cooks. Can't believe that Jim Kunster's- 720 comments!!! holy molies and not one advertisement!
you've kept me busy, thanks.

Patry Francis said...

r: Kunsler gets hundreds of comments on every post. He only has to write something once in a while, and then the commenters rant for days.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, some of these are both new and alluring to me, e.g., the French word of the day. Thank you!

I've long been a fan of both Chocolate & Zucchini (great, great ideas) and Waiter. And I thought Waiter had actually announced that he had a book deal. Maybe that was just me wishing, too, but I could have sworn he made an official announcement in his blog this summer.

Waiter also got me hooked on El Guapo in D.C. El Guapo tends to stay in the shallow end, but he is hilarious, especially when he visits Texas, when he writes about his amigo Miguel, or when he waxes rapturous over flan.

Anne Bauer said...

Great links -- these will keep me busy. ;)

Patry Francis said...

sara: I'll have to check out the guapo. Thanks!

anne bauer: Nice to see you in these parts again.

Anonymous said...

It's a great way to feature some good blogs and I love the accompanying photo!

Patry Francis said...

collen: the best part about having a blog party is introducing friends...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patry Francis said...

x