Friday, November 04, 2005

SHINY OBJECTS AND THE LURE OF ACQUISITION

DSCN1244

The magnets above were favors from a recent wedding.

"There are extras; take some home," the bride said, generously handing a staff member a bag full of them.

First we politely took one of each word; and then, when there were still many left in the bag, I stuffed a handful in my pocket, overcome with greed for LIFE, LOVE, and LAUGHTER.

But as they frequently do, the glittery objects disappointed. I stuck them on my fridge and left them in my study; I gave them away to friends--and damn, I'm not a bit more alive or loving or funny than I was before I brought them home. Do you think I can get a refund?

5 comments:

rdl said...

That's because you are already alive, loving and funny enough!

robin andrea said...

I find you totally alive, loving and funny too! In fact you pass all of that along right here.

I'm drawn to glittering objects, especially when we're out walking. I've picked up more aluminum pull tabs than I can count, always thinking it's going to be a treasure.

Mark Gamon said...

So much for marketing, then.

You probably noticed - if you have to be told to love, laugh, and enjoy life, you're most likely being sold something at the same time. Unless the advice comes from someone who loves you, of course...

Myfanwy Collins said...

I totally would have glommed onto them, too, and then wondered why I had. Think of it this way: at least you're not the person who spent god knows how much money on buying them as favors.

Patry Francis said...

To rdl and r.d: thank you for your lovely comments.

mark gamon: you've probably identified why we are deceived by so many glittering objects.

myfanwy: Thank you for empathizing with my fit of acquistiveness. Maybe because we are "word people" things like the magnets are especially appealing.

And diana: I think of the great quotes I always find of your blog, and how I've copied so many of them into my notebook, hoping somehow to "own" them. Hoping that if I do, they will somehow transform me...and maybe they do, in some incremental way.